Sunday, April 02, 2006

CYA: Memories of a Better Time

Back when I was growing up, my mom and dad used to take me to work with them once in a while. I distinctly remember, with crisp and fond recollection, trips to the General Motors building with dad and sitting in the library at a Detroit public school with my mom. Some of my best memories were from weekends when my dad would need to drop by the office to take care of something.

We'd arrive at the security desk and my dad would greet the guard, sign in, chit chat (something painful for him), and then we'd walk up to where he worked. He'd let me access the mainframe to play Adventure, or Star Trek, or Wumpus. I'd sit there for what seemed like an hour or two and just enjoy the atmosphere. The large marble walls with columns that seemed to stretch out of sight. The shiny glass plates that tiled the ceiling, letting the afternoon light bounce off the rows of indoor trees. The fantastic open architectures of the visitors desk and the large, bold letters of the company's name riveted overhead. Echoes of footsteps as we walked along the halls, twisting and turning, occasionally passing by coworkers and enduring the pride (and childish embarrassment) of introductions.

Times have changed, for sure. Today I tried to repeat this loving memory with my son. I drove him down to Dearborn to see where dad was spending the last four years of his life and to give him a sense of awe about that place that I disappear to every weekday and occasional weekend. He was quite excited about it, too. I imagined what must be going through his mind.

But then we both learned a cold, stark lesson about the country and times we live in. Whereas in the 1970s, it was implicitly obvious that if a father took his son to work, the father was 100% responsible for the welfare and safety of his own flesh and blood, it is apparently not so obvious in litigious 2006 for corporate america to allow such assumptions to be made.

No, instead of chit chat, this irritating and clearly child-averse guard and I had to discuss how corporate policy prohibits unauthorized entry of a guest without prior approval from a manager. Indeed, he lamented how my son could be hurt on the property and it would be -- brace yourself -- his responsibility. Huh? Not mine? I was struck instantly by a grievous sense of loss for both innocence and simplicity.

Has it really come to this? Somehow in the last 30 years, the care and well-being of our own family has been transferred to the property-owner and its guardians? A magical shift of responsibility from those who should care deeply to those who don't.

So the manager -- who has never met my son -- can take responsibility... the security guard -- who knows neither me nor my son -- can take responsibility... but I, who would gladly jump into the jaws of death to save my son from danger, cannot.

I don't fully blame the company for its policy. Rather, it's the legions of folks who sought legal action against companies when an injury took place on their property and caused this country to fall into an impersonal, uncaring, rut of legal cover-your-arse. We've tipped the balance in this country from favoring personal responsibility to blaming everyone else -- and now it's coming back to haunt us in the most ridiculous ways.

I suppose, in the real sense of "justice", it serves us right.

---- Dantelope @ don't-touch-me-or-i'll-sue

Comments:
Those times are past and never to return. I also remember going with my father to his office. He was a bartender. He pulled out an old stool so I could look over the bar and help him serve the customers. He taught me how to serve up the "cold ones" with just the right amount of head. (The foam on the top of a beer is called “head” – but for some reason I felt the need to explain this fact.) He taught me how to handle the outbursts from patrons who were served a few too many. I remember my 8th birthday. That was a special day. Dad let me stay for his whole shift. I helped him behind the bar, as usual, and then we played poker and smoked cigars with the cook. The cocktail waitresses also stayed around, but her interest wasn't in playing poker. Well, there really isn't a reason for any graphic details (this is a family blog), but I did mention it was a VERY special day. But I digress...the experience of a father taking his son to work is forever lost. This bonding experience will be unknown to future generations and we have become a weaker society because of it.

But on the brighter side: Look who we now entrust with our safety and security. Why, it’s Security Officer Bob! SOB has a diploma from the DeVry Security Graduate School hanging from his 10’ x 10’ office with 3” bullet-proof glass. He has TV monitors that provide surveillance of the hallways, offices, supply room and restrooms. He alone can determine who is allowed within the sacred corridors by determining the color of the badge you possess. Who do you think could be more responsible than SOB? The government should allow cloning of SOB and provide them to the Department of Homeland Security – or maybe to post them along America’s borders.

BTW, have you been secretly attending MB’s creative writing course? This was a most excellent post. It actually brought many suppressed memories to the surface. Thanks a lot…now I have to find the number to my therapist.
 
I really do buy their explanation. I got it confirmed by managers at the company.

I agree they don't personally care, but they certainly are following what has got to be one of the dumbest corporate policies on the planet... next to forcing employees to wear ties.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?